Monday, June 6, 2016

Vases Set Analysis

In order to make the vase, we first needed to use the cylinder method once again just like the bowl project. Because we had practiced that a lot, I didn’t have much difficulty making a higher, and thinner cylinder. However, trying to make the shape that I wanted was quite challenging. I was going for those long thing vases, however, when I made them it turned out to be quite weird looking unlike the ones I saw in google. My very first vase turned out looking like a bottle. I was satisfied with my first set, however, something that distracted me was the thickness of it. Even though I had made the cylinder as thin as possible, when making it into a certain shape, it always got thicker. The reason may have been because I pushed the clay inwards to it longer from the wider cylinder. After that vase which looked like a bottle, I worked on making a long thin vase, which looked extremely weird in my opinion, so I just chopped off the upper part and made it into a short vase with a wide mouth. It came out better than I had expected it to be because I was thinking that it would be destroyed as I had to open the cylinder again and repeat the process. Thus, making the vase set was not as hard as I thought it would be since we had practiced the process several times. 20160530_112253.jpg
However, trimming the vase set was the hardest process I had gone through in this project. The reason is, because the tips of my vases were always thin and delicate, I didn’t want to put it upside down. Not only that, but because we didn’t have the right tool to trim it in, we had to use clay to secure which wasn’t the best option as it would come out. Therefore, I mostly tried to make the vase without excess on the bottom, so that I could avoid trimming it.
20160601_091420.jpg As for the decoration, what I had in mind were those fancy looking white ones. I was worried that there weren’t going to be any glaze that gave off a shiny, white, modern looking style. Hopefully, once it’s burned it turns out the way I want it to look! Not only that, but I decided to add a small design so that it wouldn’t be just white. I got inspiration from an image in google, and decided to draw on a dandelion with a glaze pencil for all the three vases. However, I left one (not part of the set) as just white.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Seo Hyun,
    Your vase set looks amazing! You were able to explore different forms of vases and the three that you chose to compose your set create an interesting combination of two tall vases and a shorter rounder one. The idea for the decoration worked really well and linked the three vases with a common element.
    I am glad to know that you felt a lot more comfortable throwing the vases as you have practiced a lot with the previous sets. It was great to see your perseverance and hard work as well as your excitement and curiosity to experiment different possibilities.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Seo Hyun,
    Your vase set looks amazing! You were able to explore different forms of vases and the three that you chose to compose your set create an interesting combination of two tall vases and a shorter rounder one. The idea for the decoration worked really well and linked the three vases with a common element.
    I am glad to know that you felt a lot more comfortable throwing the vases as you have practiced a lot with the previous sets. It was great to see your perseverance and hard work as well as your excitement and curiosity to experiment different possibilities.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete