Gosto muito de ler livros inglês mas este ano tive a oportunidade de ler contos e romances em português. Sempre achei que através da leitura podemos conhecer outras realidades, outros mundos que os autores nos-levam. Na primeira leitura “Brás, Bexigas e Barra Funda” eu pude entender melhor a vida dos imigrantes no Brasil. Foi interessante saber que o Brasil foi formado por muitos imigrantes, como os italianos em São Paulo que é uma cidade multicultural. Na segunda leitura “O Ateneu”, a minha percepção sobre o Brasil mudou porque nunca pensei que as escolas brasileiras tinham usado no seculo 19, instrumentos de castigo como a palmatória. Só pensava que isso era comum na cultura Asiática. Foi interessante também conhecer sobre a monarchia no Brasil e um pouco da hístoria do país. No terceiro livro, “Não Verás País Nenhum”, eu pude ver pela primeira vez um autor brasileiro escrevendo uma distopia. Foi uma surpresa porque eu sempre tinha uma ideia do Brasil como um paraíso trópical que nunca tinha guerras. Mas nesse romance, o autor mostrou um país totalmente diferente: era triste, escuro, e deprimente como o livro “1984” de George Orwell. Por coincidencia, eu li “1984” um pouco antes do livro de Loyola Brandão. Foi mais fácil perceber as metáforas em inglês que as metáforas em português. Mas acredito que com as próximas leituras, este problema vai melhorar por que quanto mais eu ler em literatura brasileira eu vou conhecer a cultura do Brasil e desenvolver a capacidade de entender a lingua mais profundamente.
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
Monday, June 6, 2016
In order to make the vase, we first needed to use the cylinder method once again just like the bowl project. Because we had practiced that a lot, I didn’t have much difficulty making a higher, and thinner cylinder. However, trying to make the shape that I wanted was quite challenging. I was going for those long thing vases, however, when I made them it turned out to be quite weird looking unlike the ones I saw in google. My very first vase turned out looking like a bottle. I was satisfied with my first set, however, something that distracted me was the thickness of it. Even though I had made the cylinder as thin as possible, when making it into a certain shape, it always got thicker. The reason may have been because I pushed the clay inwards to it longer from the wider cylinder. After that vase which looked like a bottle, I worked on making a long thin vase, which looked extremely weird in my opinion, so I just chopped off the upper part and made it into a short vase with a wide mouth. It came out better than I had expected it to be because I was thinking that it would be destroyed as I had to open the cylinder again and repeat the process. Thus, making the vase set was not as hard as I thought it would be since we had practiced the process several times.
However, trimming the vase set was the hardest process I had gone through in this project. The reason is, because the tips of my vases were always thin and delicate, I didn’t want to put it upside down. Not only that, but because we didn’t have the right tool to trim it in, we had to use clay to secure which wasn’t the best option as it would come out. Therefore, I mostly tried to make the vase without excess on the bottom, so that I could avoid trimming it.
As for the decoration, what I had in mind were those fancy looking white ones. I was worried that there weren’t going to be any glaze that gave off a shiny, white, modern looking style. Hopefully, once it’s burned it turns out the way I want it to look! Not only that, but I decided to add a small design so that it wouldn’t be just white. I got inspiration from an image in google, and decided to draw on a dandelion with a glaze pencil for all the three vases. However, I left one (not part of the set) as just white.