To start off, the purpose of this assignment was to create a human figure, with all the accurate proportions. In other words, it was also to learn how our overall shape of the body looked like. This project did definitely help me understand and learn the proportions of the Human Figure as stated above. The reason is, before starting this project and sculpting it out of clay, we had to draw it in paper. While doing so, I learned so much! For example, the biggest part that shocked me was how small the head was compared to the whole body! At first, I thought that I drew it wrong since the head was so tiny, however after asking Ms.Ariani, she said it was correct which really surprised me even more. She explained that because we only look at the heads of the people while talking, our brain just sees the head bigger than it actually is. Not only that, but the arms seemed to be really long, and the legs actually had more shape and feeling to it, than just a stick-like figure. Additionally, it was very important that the head fits in 8 times of our whole body, and our shoulders were 3 times wider than the head. When I actually started sculpting, this drawing and notes I took extremely helped since I knew which part to focus on, and look out for.
In my opinion, I believe that I was able to maintain the proportions of the body accurately since I checked how many times the head fit almost every single time I did something just to make sure that I wasn’t making anything more stretchy (such as the legs) or making the body shorter by accidentally cutting the legs off. Not only that, but really making the perfect proportion of the human out of clay really seemed very interesting, and fun to me!
The challenges I faced was much less than what I had to go through in my last project which was the Ancient Replica. In the beginning, I was worried that I would have to go through an extremely stressful stage, or accidentally break something (which thankfully didn’t happen). Anyways, the hard part was always putting the project back wrapping it in a plastic bag because I knew that it would get out of shape. Not only that, but because I didn’t want my sculpture to be flat on the back, I always put sponge to protect it, which ended up observing all the water it had. Because of this problem, I decided to literally wet my project before putting it back which wasn’t the greatest idea, since the head fell out. However, it was still very nice the following class I had due to the fact that the clay was very soft, and easy to mold. Unlike the other big projects I have done, which I didn’t have to really worry about them breaking since they were so strong, every time I held the project to turn to work on the other side, I was afraid that it would break since it seemed too fragile. Not only that, but in the beginning, trying to make the shape of the breast as well as the bum bum was quite difficult. I didn’t quite know how to make it look like, and at one point, I just felt like adding clay since pushing the clay from above and below was too hard (which I eventually ending up doing). hehe! Also, looking at how my other friends were making it really helped since it showed me how I should be moving my hands, and make them. Additionally, it was hard to get into the pose I wanted it to be since she had “bones” as mentioned before, and every change in small movements affected the whole body. However, with the help of the awesome art teacher, Ms.Ariani, I was able to go through that process well. :)
Overall, I am quite satisfied with the result because it came out better than I had expected it to be. Not only that, but when I was in 6th-7th grade, I’ve always seen these human figures in the 2nd floor of the art. Whenever I saw these projects, I always used to think, ‘wow... these high schoolers are so good at sculpting human body.. I wonder if I will be able to do this when I grow up!’ It was so cool, and brought back memories when making this because I felt that time passed extremely fast. Getting back to topic, the proportions were correctly done since the head fit 8 times, and the leg separated while still letting the length of the face fit 4 times. Not only that, but I also shaped the back, which also had a long dent in the middle, as well as the detail in the elbow, etc. However, what I could do differently to improve the final results is to work faster with the clay to prevent it from drying and cracking. Another part I would definitely work on would’ve been the arms, since it didn’t seem to be equal as the other one because it was too thin. Not only that, but I really wanted to fix the foot part, and put a show... However, I didn’t have enough time to make one. Of course, if there were much more time, I would’ve spent more time on each other parts of the body such as the arms, legs, back, neck, breast, etc. Yet, in this quite short amount of time, I really liked how this overall sculpture turned out, and can’t wait to work on the next one! :D