To start off, the purpose of this project was to represent a human figure but put an expression to it. Before working on this project, we worked on the human body figure which was learning the proportions of the human body. With this, we had to apply it and make it into a pose. However, for this, it didn’t have to be perfectly proportional like the other one. I didn’t know what pose to make, but I knew for sure that I wanted it to have an elegant feeling to it. Then, thinking about ballerinas and figure skaters, it just came into my mind that I should make something that has those pose to it! Due to that, I watched the famous figure skater (Kim Yuna) in Korea, and studies how their body moved to see if it would help my new project.
To be honest, I thought that this project was going to be easier since we already learned the proportions, and how to make a human figure. However, even though making the body was easier, putting it in a pose was very difficult. Furthermore, I knew that there would be only a little bit of a time making this project, which made me feel like I had to rush a little. In the first class, I was able to make the overall shape of the body, and in the second class, I put small details and starting to put it into the position I wanted it to be in. Then, for the third class, I really worked on putting it in the shape (which didn’t turn out too well), and for the last class, I needed help to finish the project and put it into the pose (I also had to stay after school to finish it which was totally worth it).
Moving on, the difficulties I encountered were trying to make the figure into the correct pose. The clay was usually too soft to mold into any shapes, however, when I did try to put it in a pose, it would just always crack which resulted in adding more clay to it to stick them together. Not only that, but every time I did something to the figure, it always got un-proportional which I never understood why. This led to making the legs looks extremely short. Even though I really wanted to fix this in my own, I needed desperate help because my project was falling apart! This stressed me because in my other project, this didn’t happen as frequently in my last project. Also, because the project was very small, every little finger movement I did affected the clay even more than my last one’s (very delicate). Furthermore, making the legs was hard for me because it was bent in the wrong place, and also, the legs looked chalky instead of looking smooth. Also, the arms were quite hard to make since it looked very unrealistic. It was thin and was bent in the wrong part, which made it look like the figure had no bones. To solve this problem, I re-made it, and made it thicker this time as well as bending the right way.
I was able to express the feeling I chose wanted it to be in! (Thank god!) I tried to make the pose as a figure skater putting her hands horizontally while having her back going towards the floor (hard to explain). My expressive figure didn’t really have a certain feeling to it. It was more of an elegant-like feeling to it. To come to this conclusion, I first made the body all proportional, and then I started to put the arms high up in the air and bent it, while putting the head downwards as well as her whole back. During this process, there was a lot of helping needed as mentioned above (cracks, turning unproportional, etc.) Not only that, but also one problem in the end was trying to make it stand. I thought this would be impossible because she also wore shoes in which were very thin and had a blade on the very bottom. Due to that, I talked to Ms.Ariani, and she said that we could put a wire and connect that to the base of the project. Then, Ms.Ariani gave final touches to the project, which was making it all.
If I were to do this assignment again, I would just give more detailing to the project. I actually really liked how it turned out! However, if there were more time, I would’ve put a dress to it because that was my original plan. Not only that, but also put detail into the shoes with laces and everything (minor things that aren’t too important). To enhance the feeling to it, I would’ve maybe put a face expression to it, instead of making it blank. Or, maybe over exaggerate the pose that I put it in. For my project, I didn’t try to put what the human figure itself was feeling, but more as the overall elegant feeling to it was my main goal. Overall, I’m very glad and happy that it turned out just as how I wanted it to be! (Of course, without Ms.Ariani’s help, I wouldn’t have achieved this goal).