Monday, March 23, 2015

Process - Ancient Pot Replica

In order to make this replica, the steps that were necessary to achieve the final result was to keep measuring the project with the calculation so that we could see if we were on track. What I did was multiplied the length from the image by 2.
In the beginning, I didn’t measure it properly, and just “eyeballed” it, believing that my eyes would be accurate. However, later on, Ms.Ariani noticed that it was off, and too big. Because of that, I had to start the base again by 12cm. At first, it was turning out fine. Yet, when time kept going on, and when I kept blending it, the shape went off. During that time, I didn’t notice what the problem was. Later on, when I was almost done with the project, the teacher pointed out that when I was blending, I wasn’t putting my hands on the other side to secure it, and that was why the project was coming out in weird shapes, forms. This wasn’t the biggest problem, but because of this, it led to making the project off centered. Basically meaning that the bottom/base wasn’t in the center but instead on the side.
This created a huge problem, and we had to do a big “surgery” on the project. Ms.Ariani helped me out a lot, and what she did was she cut off the base with a needle tool, and placed the clay between her legs. After that, she put it on the center, and blend it a little. Furthermore, this was hard for me because when I placed it between my legs, I tried to do it gentle as possible, however, the shape kept on breaking. Due to that, I was very stressed with my project and thought of re-starting everything. Yet, because I knew I had no time, I just had to keep with it.
Additionally, there was another problem I came upon which was the round shape of the project. When it kept nearly to the neck, the shape was off again because I didn’t close the circle as soon as possible. Instead, I kept going in little by little which seemed weird. Again, I had to cut out that part, and with Ms.Ariani’s help, she was able to shape it rounder, and closing it faster. (Phew~).
Now, it was time to work on the neck. At first, it was coming out well, and it seemed pretty much the same as the picture. However, I noticed that the neck was too thin. Thus, I had to cut out that part, and make it again, blending it with my hands on the opposite side to secure the shape.
As you can see, I had countless of mistakes, and required a lot of help during the process of making this replica of an ancient pot. It was way harder, difficult than what I had expected it to be, and it was because I wasn’t using the correct technique. At times, when things just didn’t go the way I wanted it to go, I just felt like destroying my pot, and just starting it all over again. I even felt myself sweating sometimes! Yet, through all these endless mistakes, I learned from all of them. Hopefully in the next project, I’ll be able to use what I have learned, and make it better and improve!



(Finished Product!) 

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Seo Hyun! Your hard work was really worth it and your final piece looks great!
    I hope that you were able to learn a lot of things with all the challenges that you were faced with this project!

    ReplyDelete