To start off, the purpose of this project was to create our own ceramics using the coil technique and our creativity. Making our own creative object was quite hard to brainstorm. Due to that, I started out by just drawing macarons, some cute characters, and a swan. At the end of the first class, I was in doubt whether I should make the macaron or the swan due to that, I asked Ms.Ariani, and she responded that it would be better if I made a swan since it has more movements. Not only that, but I figured out that there were many ideas and sculptures of swan. Due to that, I was in doubt whether I should keep with this, or try to make it my “own”. Because of this idea, I tried to put designs such as crowns, necklaces, and thought about making the wings with different shapes. However, because I ran out of time in the end, my swan that I imagined was a little bit different. The wings were made quite differently thanks to the help of our teacher, because she had the idea to put a coil and blend it.
Moving on, what needed to be included was different textures as well as movements instead of just plain creation. Due to that, I tried make the movements in the wings, as well as the neck (which is kind of shaped like the number 2). When you just see it by itself, my project may seem plain without much movements or textures, however, it was quite difficult to make the neck. Thus, some challenges I have encountered while working on this project was especially the neck. It was a very fragile thin part, due to that, I had to make a base that was strong. Not only that, but mentioned in my previous blogs, I have discussed about how my base was circular rather than oval. Due to that, in the middle of making the body of the swan, I had to re-shape it by using my hands. Getting back to topic about the neck part, as you can see in the pictures on the bottom, the first creation of the neck was very bent and didn’t look much like a swan. At first, it was hard to notice because I was working right in front of the project, however, when I backed up some steps and looked from far, it seemed very weird. That’s when I noticed that I needed to do some fixing. At first, I tried to shape it with my hands. This wasn’t such a great idea because it started to break, and have cracks. Yet, after some time and much patience, I was able to shape it into something I wanted it to look like. Because this part of the project was so weak, and wouldn’t stay in shape, I needed to use the sponges in order to make it stay like that.
Furthermore, I also had to make my own coils nearly at the end instead of using the extruder because the thickness had to be quite thin instead of thick. When making the wings, it came out differently than what I expected. I was imagining to put in more textures and add another slab with shape. Sadly, I didn’t have enough time, and used a coil to blend it. Overall, even though this final product wasn’t something I was imagining, I still really liked how it turned out. It felt very simple, but at the same time, it had a movement which looked very “modern”. If I would do this project again, I would definitely work faster, and add a lot more details. In conclusion, it was a very fun yet challenging project, and I would love to do something like this again! :)