Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Barbie Project (Blog #2)

To start off, I missed the class due to the Orchestra combined rehearsal, however, according to my group, they were able to test our theory. Firstly, they had discussed about how if you double the height, we also have to double the amount of rubber bands and an extra rubber band to weigh in the gravitational pull. I wasn’t quite sure if the gravitational pull would work, or count since gravity was always the same in pulling (9.8m/s2) Anyway, to check if our equation we made in the last class was precise, and made sense, they tried it with 300cm, and also doubled the amount of rubber bands plus an extra one which equaled 22 rubber bands. Sadly, this didn’t work out too well. However, they noticed that they had been using a different kind of rubber band, so after they got the “original” one, and tried adding three more rubber bands. Luckily it worked, and so it was concluded that we needed 25 rubber bands for 300cm.
Moving on, they also tried it in a smaller height of 250 cm and removed 7 rubber bands from the 22. When doing this, they noticed that the barbie could go even further, due to that, they added 2 more rubber bands. Unexpectedly, the barbie hit the floor, and without further adieu, they removed one rubber band again, and luckily, it didn’t hit the ground. Lastly, they were able to conclude that for 250cm, they had to use 16 rubber bands. After that, they tried 200cm, since it was between 250 cm and 150cm, due to that, they also thought of getting 11-16 rubber bands. Additionally, when using 13 rubber bands, it just worked perfectly.

Height (cm)
Number of rubber bands used
75
5
100
7
150
11
200
13
250
16
300
25

As we went up every 50 cm we started to see a tiny pattern. For example when we increased from 150 to 200 cm we needed two more rubber bands than the previous one. Then when we increased from 200 to 250 we had to go up 3 rubber bands. Therefore, we thought the pattern was every 50 cm you had to add one more rubber band to the amount you added last time. But then we saw that when we went from 250 to 300cm, the changes was up to 9 rubber bands. Because of this, we couldn’t figure out the pattern and had difficulty figuring out what was wrong. The three rubber bands had tripled in amount as if the pattern was to multiply the previous amount of rubber bands by itself.
Personally, I think that we have some chances in the jump even though we don’t have an exact pattern distinguished. I hope we have a successful competition, where we’ll get it right, and not let the barbie suffer. Even though we are kind of ready, we will do a final test before the actual jump and for the finale, we will consider everything we have seen in the trial, such as patterns and other calculations. I am very excited to see what will happens, yet I am worried concerned that we will make the same mistake and lose the game. Thus, I do feel that there is an equation, just that I’m not thinking too hard to find it. I’ll try to see what is making this project a big problem for us.

(Done from the stairs) 

(Done from the classroom) 


No comments:

Post a Comment